Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is 15 and last few days she is not eating

Customer Question

my dog is 15 and for the last few days she is not eating
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, anorexia - while an important symptom - isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. At 15 years of age, China doesn't have the luxury of our "watchful waiting" to see if she can remiss unaided for more than 72 hours. Such a geriatric dog doesn't have the reserve that a much younger dog has and she's much more likely to suffer from a chronic disease process than would a much younger dog. Chronic renal and hepatic insufficiencies as well as malignancies must be considered at her age.
I understand that you didn't come to this site to be told that she needs to see her vet but that's the best advice I can give you at this time. I, too, would need to perform a thorough physical exam likely to include diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well as imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound in order to clarify why she has become anorexic.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.