Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 3 year old westie is leaking a yellowish pus from

Customer Question

My 3 year old westie bitch is leaking a yellowish pus from one of her nipples. She hasn't been spayed yet. I was checking her whole breast area as she seems to have gained weight and her vulva is still exposed although she's not in season. She is not in any pain or distress with it but didn't really enjoy we gently squeezing her nipple to get the pus out. I will book her in to the vets but won't be until later in the week so just wanted some advice please?
Thanks in advance,
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I suspect that Lola is falsely pregnant (pseudopregnancy, pseudocyesis) and has formed a bit of milk which is now infected (mastitis). False pregnancy is the norm in unbred dogs and arises 1-3 months after a heat period. It often goes unnoticed but in some dogs, maternal and nesting behavior arises and the breasts can become engorged with milk. In most cases, the false pregnancy abates within a few weeks but may persist until the next heat period in some dogs.
Spaying is curative. If spaying isn't desired, medical treatment with cabergoline - a dopamine agonist - can terminate the false pregnancy. Gently removing the pus and applying an over the counter triple antibiotic ointment is helpful. A systemic antibiotic, however, should be considered if such simple care doesn't resolve the infection.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. On further inspection it is nearly all her nipples however the discharge from the rest is milky in colour it was just the first one that contained pus.
She doesn't seem bothered by it and is happy for me to touch the area. Should I try expressing myself and see if it subsides? Or go to the vet first?
Yes, that would make more sense for a pseudopregnancy with mammary engorgement.
You can continue to express the milk and hope that all of her symptoms subside within a few weeks. Don't hesitate to have her vet prescribe a systemic antibiotic, however, if you see more extensive inflammation develop.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.