Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a working cocker . between his pads on his right front

Customer Question

I have a working cocker . between his pads on his right front paw his skin has gone very light pink and he is limping all the time as the skin is very tender and sore so naturally he licks it. I have put a collar on him to prevent this for 6 weeks, but no change in his condition. I have taken him to three different vets, all of which prescribed anti biotics and steroids. but no change in his condition. this has being going on now for several months so naturally I am anxious and frustrated with it. I have now changed his diet to a hypo-allergenic meal. but that does not seem to be working neither. I would very much appreciate any advice you could give me to fix the problem regards ***** *****
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will continue to wait for your reply. many thanks ***** *****.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Cocker. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I don't want to suggest things that have already been done or tried. Did the vets you saw do any tests: Xray? Skin scrapings? Blood tests? How old is he? I see that antibiotics did not help, so this is probably not a bacterial infection. If steroids did not help, it is probably not an allergy. If he were mine ( sorry if this has already been done) I would start with a skin scraping of the area of his foot he licks, to get cells to examine microscopically to rule out mites, yeast, fungal infection, abnormal cells. I might consider even a small skin biopsy to try to get the answer. An Xray of his foot might be a good idea since he is limping. The licking could be due to something deep inside the foot. This is where I would start; let me know what other questions I can answer. Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my dog is nine years old and I have not had a biopsy or scrapings done

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Then that would be my next step, if this were my own dog, as well as possibly an Xray. If you have tried antibiotics and steroids 3 times, with no change, this is not an infection or an allergic reaction.
Until you can get a specific diagnosis, and then know the best treatment, you could try some supplements: fish oil ( immune support, anti inflammatory), and anti oxidants (immune support), and DGP (Doggone Pain, herbal pain medication).
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Rebecca