Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

Does my dog have warts

Does my dog have warts
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. It is quite possible for your dog to have developed warts. What breed is your dog, and how old?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He's a keeshound and he is eight years old

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Doe these warts look pink or grey, will little cracks running through them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has a black patch of skin on his front leg. It is rough and lumpy with a few pink lumps which look like warts. The patch of skin is about 3 inches long and half an inch wide.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Does he spend a lot of time licking that area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. Is it possible to send a picture of the area

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is possible to send pictures, but unfortunately, in my experience they're usually not very helpful as depth and detail are very hard to show in photos. Judging from your description, I suspect that he has developed a skin condition, possibly warts, in the affected area, and the repeated irritation caused by licking has made the skin become darker in response. At his age, we must always be suspicious of cancer, but only 20% of suspicious skin lesions turn out to be malignant forms of cancer. That gives him an 80% chance of this being a benign condition. Still, the 20% chance of a dangerous form of cancer being present would justify getting him in to your veterinarian for evaluation, or at least mentioning it during his next examination. Dogs have very loosely attached skin and removing growths in quite straightforward, but the legs are one of the few places on the body where there isn't much excess skin with which to work, so I wouldn't wait too long before taking him in. In the meantime, you may be able to get this to clear up with something like Cortaid (steroid) creme, rubbed into the area twice daily for two weeks. If no improvement is seen in two weeks, or if it seems to be worsening, immediate veterinary care would be the smart thing to get for him. If you should have any more questions, please let me know, I'll be happy to answer them for you. Kind regards, *****