How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7938
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

Does my dog have warts

Resolved Question:

Does my dog have warts
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. It is quite possible for your dog to have developed warts. What breed is your dog, and how old?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He's a keeshound and he is eight years old

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. Doe these warts look pink or grey, will little cracks running through them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has a black patch of skin on his front leg. It is rough and lumpy with a few pink lumps which look like warts. The patch of skin is about 3 inches long and half an inch wide.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Does he spend a lot of time licking that area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Is it possible to send a picture of the area

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is possible to send pictures, but unfortunately, in my experience they're usually not very helpful as depth and detail are very hard to show in photos. Judging from your description, I suspect that he has developed a skin condition, possibly warts, in the affected area, and the repeated irritation caused by licking has made the skin become darker in response. At his age, we must always be suspicious of cancer, but only 20% of suspicious skin lesions turn out to be malignant forms of cancer. That gives him an 80% chance of this being a benign condition. Still, the 20% chance of a dangerous form of cancer being present would justify getting him in to your veterinarian for evaluation, or at least mentioning it during his next examination. Dogs have very loosely attached skin and removing growths in quite straightforward, but the legs are one of the few places on the body where there isn't much excess skin with which to work, so I wouldn't wait too long before taking him in. In the meantime, you may be able to get this to clear up with something like Cortaid (steroid) creme, rubbed into the area twice daily for two weeks. If no improvement is seen in two weeks, or if it seems to be worsening, immediate veterinary care would be the smart thing to get for him. If you should have any more questions, please let me know, I'll be happy to answer them for you. Kind regards, *****
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7938
Experience: 35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
Dr. Bob and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

 
 
 
  • It was so professional, so personally concerned (as we were) and you answered all of our questions. George and I are so happy that I found ""JustAnswer"" on my Google search -- you are now in my ""Favorites"" list! And, yes we do love our kitty - she makes our life complete! Bev & George
< Previous | Next >
  • It was so professional, so personally concerned (as we were) and you answered all of our questions. George and I are so happy that I found ""JustAnswer"" on my Google search -- you are now in my ""Favorites"" list! And, yes we do love our kitty - she makes our life complete! Bev & George
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
 
 
 

Meet The Experts:

 
 
 
  • Rebecca

    Rebecca

    Dog Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    297
    Veterinarian for more than 30 years
< Previous | Next >
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/TO/tomasicvet/2011-3-15_20483_RTI.64x64.jpg Rebecca's Avatar

    Rebecca

    Dog Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    297
    Veterinarian for more than 30 years
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MS/msb13sm/2011-3-7_52612_Dr.B.64x64.JPG Dr. Matt's Avatar

    Dr. Matt

    Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    2355
    DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DR/Dr. Gene/2012-6-29_2247_20120223174645649.64x64.jpg Dr. Gene's Avatar

    Dr. Gene

    Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    1049
    DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/VE/Vet help/2012-11-3_20182_Avatar2.64x64.png Vet help's Avatar

    Vet help

    Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    963
    12 yrs experience as a small animal veterinarian; 21 yrs exp. in the animal care field
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DE/debkatreyn/2011-11-28_33650_682e.64x64.jpg Dr. Debbie's Avatar

    Dr. Debbie

    Dog Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    902
    Companion animal veterinarian practicing for over 10 years.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/KR/kritrdr/2014-3-26_152042_Dr.Gray1.64x64.jpg Dr. Dan's Avatar

    Dr. Dan

    Dog Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    2143
    12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/DJ/djan2000/djan2000_avatar.64x64.jpg Dr. Dave's Avatar

    Dr. Dave

    Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    2053
    21 years small animal general and emergency practice