Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Ihave a golden retriever age 9 I m sure sh has a tick on

Customer Question

hi ihave a golden retriever age 9 I m sure sh has a tick on her ear , I heard awhile that putting vaserline would stave the tick my golden has had one for 3 days and is still attached to her ear what advise is there you could give ,or should I go to my local vet for some information many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and would like to help.

The best thing to do is to take tweezers and immediately remove the tick. Eventually, the vasoline will cause the tick to drop off but it is better and safer for sweet Bonnie to remove it right away. If the had is still inside, her bosy will spit this out in a matter of a day leaving only a small scab. It is an old wives tail that you cannot remove the tick because the head will stay in....this is not true...take this tick off now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much I have just removed the tic from bonnie ear flap .after a little squeal she is happy now so gave her a biscuit and all happy now ,thank you for your help

You are very welcome....I am sure Bonnie is feeling a lot better now. Have a wonderful day!