Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have an ageing English terrier corgi cross that needs

Customer Question

I have an ageing English bull terrier corgi cross that needs her very thick claws trimming the last time it was done at the vets it was a stressful affair as lucy gets extremely anxious when you go near her feet she wriggled so much that it took 3of us to her down and the vet still made a few claws bleed as lucy just wasn't keeping at all still.. Would a sedative to relax her be an option
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why aren't you answering my question??
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about all the stress with having Lucy's nails trimmed. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. I am also sorry to see you did not get help earlier from an expert. I just came online and saw your question. When I see a dog struggle this violently with nail trimming, I do sedate them. I give an injection of a sedative that is reversible, so the moment I trim the last nail I give the antidote, and then she wakes back up again. It is so much easier on everyone, the dog and the people trying to cut the nails, when a dog struggles and get this stressed. I have used this in dogs of all ages, but with the older ones, I will do blood test, if none have been done recently, to be sure there is no underlying problem that might make sedation risky. I have found that giving medication orally, a sedative or tranquilizer, is usually ineffective. The dog stays drowsy for hours, but as soon as you try to do the nails they become agitated anyway. I really like this injection, because it works quickly and then is reversed so the dog is not drowsy all the rest of the day. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. Rebecca