Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Yesterday after a not overly strenuous walk my 11 year old

Customer Question

Yesterday after a not overly strenuous walk my 11 year old standard poodle seemed very disoriented when we got out of the car, he was hugging the left hand side of the pavement, into gateways etc. Was quiet at home, but happy to have a treat! Normal walk this morning, no car, but odd again this afternoon, same left hand tendency. Again perks up for a biscuit! Seems to have a strange twitch on right back leg like he is trying to scratch himself. Could he just be dehydrated? We haven't walked far but it is quite warm

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Based on what you report I am most concerned Bailey is experiencing weakness that, if unilateral or one-sided, may indicate a neurological problem. Odd that it would come/go but there are some issues that can be exacerbated by exercise. The twitching on the leg is another key sign. Alternative to the weakness is that there could be true pain on the side that is twitching such as referred back pain. This breed can be very stoic and tough about identifying pain.
Since this has persisted, I do think an appointment is needed. If, however, she seems to be worsening and is doing this more than just when exercised, you should have her seen on an urgent care basis today or tomorrow. If you decide to wait to have her seen, then please keep her rested until that appointment.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.