Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

AFTER A FALL MY DOG CANNOT MOVE HER HEAD, NECK GOES INTO S

Customer Question

AFTER A FALL MY DOG CANNOT MOVE HER HEAD, NECK GOES INTO SPASM
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This suggests she probably has injured her spine. With such severe pain and the spasm you noticed, these are clear indications this is a medical emergency. The absolute best recommendation I can make is to proceed to your closest veterinary emergency clinic where she needs to receive a complete examination followed by perhaps X-rays. And then if identified to have a cervical spinal injury to make that judgement call if this is something which may be treatable with at-home medications to reduce pain and spinal inflammation, or if this is progressing to become something which may require surgery to alleviate the pressure on the spine.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
I wish I had an easy at-home treatment I could recommend which I think will be both beneficial to her and help improve her current situation, but I do not. There are no effective medications I could send you to a people pharmacy to pick up. If you had previously prescribed pain medication for you, then you could safely administer this, assuming she had no past adverse reactions. You should rest her and prevent her from walking up/down stairs and no jumping on/off furniture.