Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My new puppy caught his jaw and teeth in his cage last night.

Customer Question

My new puppy caught his jaw and teeth in his cage last night. It was his very first night with us. It was so traumatic I had to release him (it was difficult) and he was squealing in pain. Poor thing. Needless to say I didn't sleep all night long.
I put him in his cage this morning again to used to it and it happened again.
The experience has really worried and upset me. Upstairs for the pup in the bed is not an option in our house as my partner is just getting used to having a dog around.
Please could someone help? I am dreading putting him in there tonight. It was so awful. (he is only 13 weeks and i am getting up for a toilet stop in the night)
With Many Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. The situation that you describe is not uncommon - this can cause fractured teeth or a fractured jaw. Obviously, that is an unacceptable risk. We have two options to keep him safe. The first option is to purchase a different style of crate. The plastic sided crates, like VariKennels, are much safer with regard to their teeth. There is still a metal grate on the front for the door. This can be covered with plexiglass on the inside so that he cannot get his teeth through. That leads us to our second option. If you are handy you can cover all internal walls of a metal crate with plexi. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.