Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Two year old ***** ***** not eating much of her food more

two year old ***** ***** not eating much of her food more tierd than useual still enjoys exercise but seems little under the weather not as playfull lately useually eats one tin of pedigree dog food per day past three days gone down to half a tin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Jessie is not feeling wellIs she showing any signs of gi upset such as vomiting, diarrhea, or nausea (eating grass, licking lips, increase salivation, gurgling stomach)? Is there any chance she could have gotten into something she shouldn't have like the garbage, eaten a toy or a plant? I can give you basic guidelines for Jessie but if she is not improving please have her seen by your veterinarian. The reduced appetite can be related to gi changes but can also be generalized for simply not feeling well also. - Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/2 tablet daily for the next 3 days which will help settle his stomach and minimize gastric acids that can be associated with nausea and general gi upset. If you have it available or your local pharmacy or grocery should carry it as well- Offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. - If no change or she seems more lethargic and not interested in the mixed treat then I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Jessie comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen, restlessness as wellI hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!