Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 10 month old has just been tied to my 2 year old dog,

Customer Question

my 10 month old bitch has just been tied to my 2 year old dog, same breed. they are meant to be a breeding pair but not this soon. what can i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear what happened. I am a veteinarian, and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
There is an injection, called a mismating shot, that can be given the first 24 hours after something like this happens, if you don't want the puppies now. There are possible side effects, such as not working and she remains pregnant, causing her cramping and discomfort, and affecting her future heat cycles.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
A prescription medication called cabergoline may also be used to terminate a pregnancy. It has to be given daily for a week or longer, but you start it farther along, it is not a "morning after pill"
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
The only other options are to hope she did not take and is not pregnant, or if she does get pregnant, have her spayed or have the puppies. It would not be the first time dog got pregnant on her first heat. She will be a young mother, but will probably be fine.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating! Let me know how she is doing.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i will do I'm just undecided what to do wether to let nature take its course or proceed with a injection

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
If you chose the injection, you need to do it within 24 hours or so. The cabergoline can be done in a few weeks, so y have options.