Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 9 year old speyed labrador ate sheep poo while on

My 9 year old speyed labrador bitch ate sheep poo while on a 5 mile walk on Monday last. She has been throwing up her food since. Could the food be out of date? It is a dry food. I tried softening it with warm water today but it still came back. She seems fine, not tucked up and her stools appear normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Any other symptoms? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. She threw up first while on the walk on Monday. I was half expecting that because i had been unable to stop her eating teh sheep poo.
2. No.
3. She has occasional ear infections which I am treating with Clorexyderm once a day.
4. 28 kg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Does she always vomit with food?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, if she ate the feces on Monday this is not related to the feces. If you have changed her diet and she continues to vomit it is not the food either. There are many possible underlying medical disorders that will cause her to vomit. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter