Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My raven had a litter of pups a week ago and I have noticed

My bitch raven had a litter of pups a week ago and I have noticed today she is bleeding a bit is this normal? She seems happy enough eating drinking feeding and cleaning the pups
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Hannah, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Congrats on the litter:)

As long as Raven is eating, drinking, taking care of her puppies and isn't running a fever (normal is between 100 and 102.5), then a discharge this length of time after delivery can be quite normal. In most cases, what's happening is known as Subinvolution of Placental Sites (SIPS) and nothing to worry about. The discharge can vary in color from light pink to brownish red to red and can be a small to moderate amount. It can also last for weeks for some females.

The other condition that it might be confused with would be metritis which can be fairly serious. These dogs usually produce a foul smelling discharge and are not feeling well though.

So, more than likely, what you're seeing is normal after delivery of pups.

I hope this helps to provide reassurance about her. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hannah:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And continued best wishes that the pups and mom remain healthy and that the puppies thrive:) Regards, Deb