Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cocker spaniel went short walk over the fields this

Customer Question

My cocker spaniel went for a short walk over the fields this morning and has been panting excessively since 10am. Have covered him in damp towels put ice on the underside of his paws.Made sure he has been kept hydrated with cold water and he his laying on cold marble tiles.He seems to calm down and then he starts panting heavily again.
He is just over 10 years old.
What else can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Can you take his rectal temperature? The panting could be fever, but it is also possible his temp is normal and his panting is from something other than fever. If you look at his gums, are they pink in color, or do they seem pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His gums are very pink I have nothing to take his temperature with but with the panting he makes a rasping noise that stops and starts
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
PInk gums are a good sign.
The panting could be fever, pain, fluid in his lungs, a blood clot in his lungs, heart disease. This does not sound like heat stroke, since your walk was short and in the morning, unless it was really excessively hot when you were out.
If I could, I would listen to his heart and lungs, take his temperature, feel his pulses, etc. and possibly take a chest Xray to find out why he continues to pant. How soon can you have him examined by a veterinarian?
Until then I would keep him cool and quiet and be sure his gums remain pink.
Let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with or answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rachel,
How is Basil today?

Rebecca