Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My whelped 6 puppies on the 2nd of July she is a golden,

My bitch whelped 6 puppies on the 2nd of July she is a golden, 1st litter. Her milk production is diminishing and her teats are hot. I am taking her to my vet tomorrow. Meanwhile the puppies are not gaining weight at all. Should I bottle feed them now in the interim? I am worried about them, they have only gained about an ounce since birth Thank you , Pauline
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to to hear about Maisie's situation with her milk production / mammary glands. That is a very good idea to get her to your vet to have them check her over. Could she have mastitis in her glands that is affecting the milk production there. What you can do at home till you get into them is to do some warm compresses on the mammary glands / teats to help give them some relief and it could help to stimulate milk production. The puppies at this time are at a critical time. They need good nutrition to help them to continue to develop and be healthy. If mom isn't able to keep up with their needs, then it would be a very good idea to help supplement them with feedings. Here is a great link on orphaned puppy / kitten care that goes over feeding instructions really well. As far as the actual feedings go, getting onto you tube is a great source for finding various videos that show the best techniques.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=576
Some mom's can have some challenges with milk production and this is something that a good owner can definitely help out with through supplemental feedings. It is never a bad thing to give supplemental feedings to ones so young. The key is to make sure that the puppy replacer being used is of good quality.
I'm hoping for the best for Maisie and all her little ones!