Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Oh god, I've just been doing research online. My 12 month lab

Oh god, I've just been doing research online. My 12 month lab seems to have ear problems, vet prescribed drops but he wouldn't let her have a proper look, it seemed to get better but after this weekend a lot worse, can't find his drops anywhere. I'd heard of using apple cider vinegar for dogs ears and looked it up. And decided to give it a go, he is now beside himself and howling!! What have I done!! And please what can I do to help him now?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn he is feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Was the ear canal irritated before using the vinegar?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Slightly red but more mucky
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, we do sometimes recommend using vinegar mixed with warm water as an ear cleaning solution. But, if the ear is irritated the vinegar will be somewhat uncomfortable, best to wait until the ear is no longer red or irritated to use. For now what you can do is flush his ear canal out with warm water. Feel free to pour warm water into the canal. Then, stuff the canal with cotton to remove all of the water. Continue cleaning the ear with warm water and cotton 2 times a day. Then, apply the medication prescribed by family veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter