Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 7 yr old cocker spaniel was diagnosed with an under active

Customer Question

Our 7 yr old cocker spaniel was diagnosed with an under active thyroid about a year ago. Since then all of her anxious tendencies have become much worse. Is this part of the thyroid issue?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your Cocker is more anxious since being diagnosed. I definitely would advise rechecking a thyroid level 4-6 hours after the thyroid supplement is administered to ensure that the medication is not causing an overactive thyroid condition. This would be a common cause of increased anxiety in a dog, hyperthyroidism but I have not had a case of hypothyroidism that is well controlled causing the symptoms you described.If the thyroid is well controlled then I would consider trying some supplements to help calm her anxiety. There are a few supplements that contain l-theanine as a primary ingredient which is great to control mild anxiety issues. I use one for my personal dog, it takes 2-4 weeks to see full effects but can really help with dogs and mild anxiety. I will give you a link to one example...http://www.amazon.com/Composure-Medium-Large-Dogs-Chews/dp/B001WOOC9S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436387783&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+l-theaninePlease let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today or clarify anything. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!