Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Dog has been Ill 4/5 weeks now . Symptums, drooling

Customer Question

Dog has been Ill for about 4/5 weeks now . Symptums, drooling unsteady gate which has now become much worse including front and back legs, only able to walk about 5 paces now before front legs start twitching and shoulders protrude sideways leading to complete collapse. some problem with weepy eyes no reaction in one eye, which has now improved a little, now seems to have little interested in food but eats quickly and with relish when fed by hand. now not drinking much water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Molly. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I am pretty worried by your description of her. This could be many things, such as hormonal conditions that cause weakness, spinal cord problem, brain tumor, heart or liver or kidney disease.
To narrow down the long list of possibilities, I would start with a good physical exam and some basic blood tests. Has she seen a veterinarian for her problems yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes about 4 times over the past month had Urine test blood test and x rays nothing is showing up.. going back tomorrow and think the vet may think its time to put her down.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the results of the tests that I could look at?
Blood tests and Xrays can tell us a lot, but there are things, such as spinal cord and brain disease, that need tests like MRI, CT, or spinal taps. If she is at the point of needing tests like these to diagnose her problem, often we are looking for serious diseases, ones that are hard or even impossible to treat.
Let me know what other questions you have. I am sorry she is so sick, and that you may be putting her down.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Lindsey,
How is Molly doing?

Rebecca