Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My small dog was vomiting up bile during the night and had

My small dog was vomiting up bile during the night and had a runny tummy this morning. She wants to lay quietly next to her water bowl with her chin slightly laying I the water at all times. I wondered why she would do this. Your help is very much appreciated. She is 9 years old and is a Poodle cross Pomeranian.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Is she drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1/ she had a tick removed a few days ago on her left ear. but doesn't looked inflamed or swollen etc.

2/ no

3/not sure around the size of a small Pomeranian.

4/ no she isn't but she is just laying next to her water bowl with her chin resting slightly in the water.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Can you open her mouth and make sure there is nothing stuck under tongue, gums, teeth, etc.? 2- Can you see if her gums are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have checked and there isn't anything stuck and her gums look pink and look fine. Her breathing is normal but she is very lethargic and is just laying next to her water bowl with her chin actually resting on the side of the bowl where her billy goat chin is actually in the water bowl. she is just resting. never seen her like this before.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your response.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, normally when dogs that are ill and resting their head over the water bowl is because they are drinking more than usual. The fact that she is not drinking yet keeping her head over the bowl could be that she wants to drink and may be weak or not feeling well to do so. Conditions that would cause a dog to drink more are: Diabetes, kidney or liver disease, infections and even certain type of cancer. As far as the vomiting and diarrhea this could be caused by any of the above mentioned diseases. In this case, unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. Treatment will be based on exact underlying cause. So, she is going to need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work, urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. I would strongly recommend having her checked by family veterinarian this morning for the above test. In the meantime you can start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours; you can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter