Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog had two in one operation last Tuesday

Customer Question

My 10 year old ***** ***** cross dog had a two in one operation on Tuesday for ligament repair and luxating patella correction. She had the dressing removed yesterday and we have an elizabethan collar for her, which seems to be distressing her, she managed to remove it during the noght and licked the wound. Although the wound looks ok she is whining and twitching/jumping which I think is pain/healing process. We have sorted the collar so it won't come off but we are having to leave it on all the time because as soon as we remove it she starts licking the wound again. She is currently having :

1 1/2 Carprieve once a day
1/2 Noroclav twice a day
2 x Tramadol every 8 hours as required (20.00 mg I assume)
1 Corvental a day for a bronchial condition.

If she is distressed we want to help her, what can we do to help her? We are still carrying her up and down the steps in the garden and not walking her or letting her jump etc We wondered if we could increase the Tramadol which seem to help he settle and sleep a little better? Our vet doesn't open on a Sunday and we don't want her to see anyone else. Please advise?

Thanks,
Amanda***@******.***

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl Tilly is uncomfortable after her knee surgery, but I am pleased to hear that incision itself looks good and that she is eating and drinking normally.I think you are correct and that she may be feeling the sutures under the skin or inflammation and discomfort from the surgery itself.She is on a very good regimen of pain medications, with a combination of a nonsteroidal, Carprieve and Tramadol, which is a narcotic.You can try cold compressing her incision area for 10 minutes or so, then pat the area dry and apply Neosporin or Polysporin to the incision line itself to keep it soft and decrease the feeling of the sutures by softening them with the ointment, then apply topical lidocaine cream around the incision line itself to hopefully freeze the tissue around her incision. Do not apply lidocaine directly to the incision itself. We don't want that on open tissue. All of these are available over the counter at your local drug store.If she seems sensitive to the incision line hitting the floor when she lies down you can put sterile non-stick pads over the incision once you apply the antibacterial and lidocaine ointment and then wrap her knee with an ace bandage in a figure 8 manner so she can't feel the floor directly on her incision. Make sure not to wrap too tightly and watch the area below the wrap and her toes for any signs of swelling. Use her opposite foot for comparison. Remove the wrap immediately if you see any swelling.There is a dosing range for Tramadol, so you may be able to give a little more. A normal post-operative dose can be anywhere from 0.5mg to 1.5mg per pound of body of body weight. You don't say how much she weighs or what size Tramadol you have. You may wish to contact her veterinarian and see if you can increase the amount.You might also try a different e-collar. There are soft variations sold at the pet store that some dogs object to less.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.