Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

A fortnight ago my black 7yr old CockerSpaniel seemed to go

Customer Question

A fortnight ago my black 7yr old CockerSpaniel seemed to go very quiet and sitting on her back legs more went to Vets treated for inflamed anal glands given antibiotic injection & anti inflammatory inj no improvement 3 days later back to Vets given antibiotic tablets no improvement 3dayslater back legs weaker so then had X-ray no sign of arthritis in joints vets unperturbed me very anxious as normally like an active puppy was given anti flammatory medication one dose daily my dog now just over 2wks resting all the time can walk only if I lift her back legs up and only a short distance this morning back legs splaying outwards.She is weeing & pooing when taken out any
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I get my money back if I don t get reply
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) is my primary concern in such a patient as Molly. Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") is the most common of the myelopathies in a 7 year old Cocker although I do have to consider fibrocartilaginous embolism/FCE - an interruption of the blood supply to the spinal cord - and a tumor in or around her spinal cord as well. You mentioned that X-rays were taken of her joints but were X-rays of her entire spine performed? In some cases even X-rays won't be enough to identify the type of myelopathy present and I have to MRI these patients. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response I have managed to get her seen by an orthopaedic consultant and for MRi scan this Friday I have not been happy at all with local vets very nonchalant and I had to press to be referred to a vet hospital ( it is just sad though watching your dog who is normally like a puppy become immobile
You have confirmed my suspicions and I m not a vet ( Retired nurse )
Thank you for the good update. I'm pleased to hear that Molly will be attended to nicely. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.