Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog's anus is red and swollen. I have bathed it twice in

My dog's anus is red and swollen. I have bathed it twice in warm soapy water, bt she finds it painful. Is there a soothing cream that I can use?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is she licking the anus? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Is the anus protruding outward? 4- Does she have diarrhea or straining to defecate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 NO

2 3Weeks

3 NO

4 NO

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she rubbing her butt on the floor? 2- How old is your dog? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Is she on any medications? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 Yes

2 12

3 I do not know , she is a small "Yorkie/Daschund" style bitch.

4 No

5 No

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for answering my questions. Friend, it seems like her butt is itchy as you already know. A very common cause could be an underlying allergy (food or environmental). Continue washing the area with warm soapy water then apply a topical cortisone cream. You can find this cream over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). I would also discuss with your family veterinarian about doing a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's z/d for 6-8 weeks. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. I have coated the area with "Sudocreme" will

that be ok ?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can try sudocrem, if there is no relief try the cortisone cream. You're welcome.