Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog is a german pointer aged between 10=12 [romanian rescued]

Customer Question

my dog is a german pointer aged between 10=12 [romanian rescued] is very lathargic [sleeps all day and night, will not eat,[5 days now] drinks small amounts only,has always had diarrhoea since i rescued him 14 months ago, although i have stopped it for some weeks at a time but it still returns on his down spells,i have been told that he has been very badly treated in Romainia before he was rescued, and i am his first owner as he was a stray, he spent over a year in rescue kennels before i took him, where he was very stressed, we are now so very very close and he trusts and loves me dearly, but only i can touch him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Minty. Thank you for rescuing him.
Have any tests been done to find out what his problem might be, such as looking at his stool under a microscope for parasites, blood test to check liver and kidney function or hormonal disorders?
If he is lethargic, not eating and has had diarrhea for 14 months, there are many possibilities in a dog this old. Parasites would be the first thing to check for, by taking a stool sample to your veterinarian.
If you look at his gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale? If pale, he may be anemic, and I would check for parasites, tick carried diseases, and internal disease.
Something is physically wrong, and just trying home remedies without knowing what the underlying illness is, will probably be frustrating and unrewarding. Still, you can try probiotics for diarrhea, try a dog food with different ingredients, and have a sample checked at your vet for parasites.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i take on board what you are saying and i have made an appointment with the vets, although they cant see him till next wednesday and i was trying to help him in the meantime, the visit to the vets will cause him great stress and i will have a job to hold him even with a muzle on, as he trusts no one but me and will not allow any one to get near him let alone touch him, and i was trying to avoid unnessasary stress for him.

But something has to be done, i just hope that they can sedate him before examaning him, as an o.a.p. living on my old age pension and also getting housing bennefit i am eligable to the PDSA so thats what i have done, i just hope they will be thorough and will make a conrtibution for as much as i can.

Thanks for your help, as at the moment i feel so helpless nd woried, i know he is an old dog but i am sure he has a few good years to be spoiled in him yet, and as i love him so much i so much want to make good what cruelty mankind has given him before i had him.

regards Paul

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are so kind to try to help this old, mistreated dog.
If you can get him to a vet, they should be able to examine him and get some baseline information.
You could start by taking a stool sample to them before taking him to them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

problem is, as he is not eating he is not giving any stools, just vomitting occasional byle.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am very concerned he is ill. Healthy dogs do not just stop eating.
There are so many possible reasons for the diarrhea, not eating, vomiting, lethargy. I can think of dozens of things that might be wrong. Some are serious, and some are treatable. You need a diagnosis, to know the best treatment.
I would start with a good physical exam, and looking at stool under a microscope.
Did you tell me when I asked before: are his gums pink or pale in color?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

his gums are still pink, his eyes are still quite bright, and the skin inside his ears is still of a good colour.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Pink is good! If he were pale, I would be worried about internal bleeding, liver disease, cancer.
I will be offline for awhile, but will be checking back. Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating.
I hope he is doing better soon and your loving efforts on his behalf are rewarded.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating. Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rebeca

I am sorry and sadden to have to tell you that Minty was put to sleep this morning, i took him on Wednesday evening to the emergency vets after talking to you, as i fet he was in too much pain to wait any longer, he was kept in overnight and stayed there untill this mornring, where after a ultra scan and x rays it was found that his kidneys had failed, and he was on a i v s drip since wednesday evening being given drugs for his kidneys as they found on that evening his kidneys were off the scale for their readings, but i am afraid that after 48 hours on them there was no difference at all, this in turn was affecting his pancreas badly and causing lots of pain, so when they phoned me this morning whith his results they told me the kindest thing to do was to put him to sleep, i went ther and held him in my arms as they did so, he passed away peacefully as i was kissing the top of his head.

i have just buried him in my front garden right close to my living room window, so he will always be near to me.Although i had only had him for 14 months he made a very loving best freind, and his memories will live in me forever.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear the sad news. My sincere condolences. Thank you for letting me know.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Paul,
How is Minty doing?

Rebecca