Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Squinting, bloodshot eyes, bluey ring underneath iris

Customer Question

My 9 year old Bichon is squinting with both eyes but mainly the right. The whites look quite bloodshot and there is a bluey ring underneath iris that almost looks separate to the eye itself. His behaviour is normal but his eyes looks very different to usual.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
You appear to be describing the appearance of a luxated (dislocated) lens of the eye. Can you upload a photo(s) of Benji's eyes to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Salkin,

Thanks for your response. His right eye is worse than his left eye and that is the one that is more squinty. He is fine in terms of behaviour, but he does sometimes rub his paw over his eyes.

I have attached the photo. Please could you advise if this is something that needs urgent attention? I am worried because he is no longer insured. I have been saving money in an account for him every month instead but don't have as much as I think this will need :( What are the treatments for this sort of thing?

Thank you for your efforts but the photo is too blurry for me to see the delicate architecture of his eye. If you used your camera phone could you use a camera set on its macro setting iinstead?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, i hope this image is easier to see? The side of the eye is bloodshot and there is a white ring underneath the black part of his eye that you can see better in the first shot. It's really difficult to get a better picture than this as he struggles a lot!

I understand. I appreciate your efforts. The "white ring" is the normal edge of his third eyelid which is prolapsed a bit across his globe. It's the third eyelid's attempt to "protect" his globe. It has nothing to do with his lens as I conjectured earlier. The sclera (white) of his eyes is, indeed, injected (bloodshot) but that can occur secondary to irritation and allergy as well as deeper inflammation within the eye.
This may not represent a serious problem at all but because I'm handicapped being so far away from Benji and because eyes can "go south" in a hurry, I encourage having his vet take at look at his eyes at your earliest convenience. Benji's corneas (the clear window of the eyes) need to be stained with fluoroscein in an attempt to spot abrasions or ulcers, his intraocular eye pressure (IOP) needs to be assessed, and a Schirmer tear test performed to see if he's having trouble forming enough tears. These are all in the exam room tests.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Benji, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His eye seems so much better!! He's not squinting any more and the eye doesn't look bloodshot. I'm on standby to take him to the vets if it gets bad again but he seems to be back to normal!
Thanks so much for checking back :)
What a good update! I never argue with success.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Haha me neither! Again, thank you so much for your help :)
It's my pleasure!