Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 16 year old mongrel has lumps in her teat, this is spreading

Customer Question

my 16 year old mongrel has lumps in her teat, this is spreading to other teats and is probably a tumor, i do not have thousands of pounds for chemo etc. and her age is a factor too. what can i do to help her? she is happy eating and drinking normally at the moment. what should i look out for as signs that she needs help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This is a terribly tough situation and I am afraid I do not have great news for you. The absolute best treatment is probably that recommended by your veterinarian which is to first spay her and sec on to remove all masses, and biopsy them to know if they are indeed cancer. If this is cancer then in dogs this has about a 60% chance of already having metastasized or moved throughout the body. It is not a cancer that responds well to chemotherapy.It may be worth doing a metastasis check (screening X-rays of the chest, abdominal ultrasound and lab work) to know if it spread prior to surgery and if no evidence of spread then I do usually recommend remove as many of these as we can. That often helps a lot in delaying this from affecting her overall. Most of my patients that do this often get many months (6-18 months) without chemo (remember this is purely anecdotal and not based on any scientific papers). If nothing is done, the masses will enlarge and eventually be painful, infected and ulcerated. Often these cases that have already spread (metastasized) we do manage supportively. This means we keep her as healthy and comfortable as we can for as long as we can. That means feeding a high quality healthy diet, administering pain relief if and when any of the masses hurt. If any of the masses get very large and are ulcerated (this will eventually happen), then you must consider having this mass removed/debulked which will temporarily help her feel better. there really is no oral medication other than pain relief that your veterinarian can prescribe to slow the progression or "treat" this. However, you could certainly schedule an appointment with a holistic veterinarian that may have some herbal supplements to support her immune system (nothing to "treat" or cure the cancer, though).I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.