Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog's BNP has got to 1550 - what does this mean?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The NT-proBNP blood test screens dogs for cardiac disease - occult and symptomatic acquired and congenital heart disease. Currently, danger values are considered to be greater than 1800 pmol/L in asymptomatic dogs with known acquired disease and are considered indicative of risk for developing heart failure. In dogs with clinical signs suggestive of heart failure, levels greater than 1800 pmol/L support that current clinical signs are related to heart disease and should be considered an indication for additional cardiac testing (e.g., thoracic radiographs, echocardiogram).
False positives are possible. It's important to check the 1550 pmol/L against the normal values posted by the diagnostic laboratory that performed the NT-proBNP test. In general, values less than 800 pmol/L are considered normal in normal dogs.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish. Has a murmur been heard in your CKC? is he symptomatic of heart disease?