Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

My dog is hiding in corners and itching her belly with her

Customer Question

My dog is hiding in corners and itching her belly with her back paws and her ears I put a flea Combe through this morning and did get a flea I have washed her with flea shampoo and put advocate on but when I went through with the flea Combe I have found nothing
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your dog's uncomfortable condition. Flea bites can itch up to 5 days after they occur, so it is not surprising that she's still having a problem. You may be able to give her some relief using Benedryl, 1 mg per pound every 6 hours as needed to help control the itching. Benedryl is effective in more than 70% of dogs to help control itching. Advocate is a liquid flea preventative that I assume like most of this kind of product travels over the dog by distribution in the the natural oil coating on their skin. Shampooing removes some of the natural skin oils, and may interfere with the efficacy of the flea preventive. I do not stock Advocate, so I can't be sure, but these products usually recommend not bathing the dog for some time both before and after the administration of the drops to allow some time for the product to be distributed over the skin in the oil. Be sure to read the directions and follow them closely to be sure you're giving her optimal protection. Hopefully in a few days your furry friend will be much more comfortable, but if you should have any further questions, please let me know.Kind regards, *****