Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a litter of three week old puppies that have been absolutely

I have a litter of three week old puppies that have been absolutely fine today I took them for a check up and to be weighed. I was given some wormer for them but they were given a clean bill of health. When I got home they were given the wormer but now one or more seems to have the shits. Could this be related and should I be worried? The only other thing is a couple of them have eaten a little puppy food but my vet said that was fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Hannah, Dr. Deb here.

Looser stools after worming can be perfectly normal and is something that I always make a point of telling my puppy owners. If the pups have round worms (the most common internal parasite of puppies this age), then as we're killing off the worms, the stools may become loose secondary to intestinal irritation..

Stress can also cause diarrhea in pups this age although it's more of a problem in older dogs.

As long as they're otherwise acting fine, I wouldn't be too concerned. You could give them a daily probiotic such as Forti Flora which may help restore a healthy gut flora but I wouldn't use any anti-diarrhea products in pups this young...but this may already be something that you know.

I hope this helps. Deb