Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Partially removed tick from dog two days ago, area gone hard

Partially removed tick from dog two days ago, area gone hard with hair loss around it.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb adn will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog but the skin lesion that you're seeing is actually a very common one once a tick has been removed.
The hardness that you're feeling is a localized inflammatory reaction to the tick's saliva which can result in hair loss.

On occasion, these sites can become infected but the largest majority of them don't. The swelling may be present for up to a week but will eventually resolve; the hair will also grown back although it may take longer for it to do so.

The swelling and hair loss will not put him at higher risk for developing any tick diseases if you were concerned about this. It's just a normal reaction to a tick attachment.

I typically advise owners to clean the area twice a day with dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea). You can also apply a small amount of topical cortisone ointment if you'd like.
I rarely dispense or suggest oral medication although Aspirin can be given as long as your dog isn't vomiting nor currently taking steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication. The dose would be 10 mg per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

I hope this helps to provide reassurance. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with your dog. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.