Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

We have a 11 week old puppy. His poos have been quiet loose,

Hi, we have a 11 week old puppy. His poos have been quiet loose, they started to solidify following worming tablets, but more recently its gone watery and chocolate moose looking. Should I be worried? We thought it might have been a wheat allergy, as this recent batch of loose poo followed him stealing the crust of a bit of bread. He's had his first jab, but not his second.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question about Sotty. At this age these little guys are pretty cute and full of energy. Is he still eating well? As far as food and treats, have these changed here in the days before ti got watery and chocolate moose looking? Is he having any vomiting? Did he have intestinal worms that the worming tablets were specifically being used for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He's always had a massive appetite. Limit him to the suggested weight of 450 grams of pedigree vital a day. But he still looks for food after that! His food hasn't changed. Except where we got him from they used to let him eat bones. Which we've stopped. The vet suggested the worming tablets as his belly was quiet large when he went in for his first jab. He hasn't vomited that I'm aware of. Although I did just find him trying to eat a snail.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
That is good that he's got a great appetite and that he's not having any vomiting. As far as the loose stools, it doesn't sound overly concerning. I would be more concerned if he was having decreased / loss of appetite and / or vomiting. The loose stools that he's having at this point could easily be due to dietary indiscretion. Basically he's got the chance of eating lots of things that just may not sit well and cause some loose stools. What would be a good idea here is to take a fresh stool sample to your vet's office Monday or so for them to do a fecal evaluation for coccidia, giardia or other intestinal parasites. These could be present and still being an issue despite the recent deworming. Again, this doesn't sound overly worrisome but it is something to get addressed with your vet.