Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My béarnaise has not eaten days and refuses any food

my béarnaise has not eaten for 3 days and refuses any food offered. He was sick 2 days ago but not since. His motions are extremely loose and jelly like. Can you advise what I should do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.
I am so sorry to hear Millie is not feeling well and the antibiotics she was dispensed to treat her condition is not helping. It sounds like there potentially is more going on then simple gi upset with her at this point
With loose, jelly like feces this indicates colitis or inflammation of the colon
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/colitis-in-dogs
Unfortunately the class of antibiotic that she was put on can sometimes cause further reduced appetite so talking to your veterinarian about adjusting the medications is warranted.
I do worry about him beginning to develop a condition called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) which is a progression of colitis causing bleeding in the colon and can lead to more complications if not treated aggressively
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge
I can give you some guidelines of things to do at home tonight until your vet opens in the morning but it sounds like she should be on intravenous fluids, anti nausea medications injection, and antacids injection to hopefully allow her gi tract to recover from this incident swiftly and return her to full health
- Famotidine 20 mg every 12 hours which is an over the counter antacid to help settle her stomach available at your local pharmacy
- Small frequent meals of a variety of meats with white rice. I tend to like bison because it is very "gamey" and dogs tend to be more interested but I am sure it is very difficult to find in your region so another boiled lean meat is an alternative
- If still no interest then jarred baby foods to entice her.
Unfortunately if the underlying cause of her gi upset is not directly addressed then I worry these signs will continue if there is no further medical intervention. Treating the underlying cause, perhaps HGE as listed above commonly caused by Clostridial enteritis requires intensive care of iv fluids, antacids, anti nausea medications, antibiotics to minimize what goes through the gut and allows it to rest and reset.
Once the loose jelly stool subsides and the intestinal contractions come to a halt (often allowing the gi tract to reset with nothing for 24-48 hours including food and water and medications) we can start over because she is rehydrated and often feeling up to eating more readily
I hope this information is helpful and doesn't further confuse you. I hate the fact that she is not responding to the therapy your veterinarian prescribed leaving you with no treatment for the weekend and her continued decline.
If there is anything I can do for you both please don't hesitate to ask...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!