Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog had a litter of puppies 3 weeks ago. All my dogs are

My dog had a litter of puppies 3 weeks ago. All my dogs are upto date with worming. And the puppies were wormed last week as per my vets recommendation this morning there poo seems to have dead worms in it I am a bit concerned and not sure what I should do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question about your puppies hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. I'm sorry for this concern for your pups but the presence of dead worms is actually a good thing; it means that the wormer which was given is working.I assume you're seeing round worms (they look like spaghetti) since these are the most common internal parasites of puppies this age. And, since the immune system of young puppies isn't fully developed, it's extremely easy for them to pick up these parasites (the body can't mount an effective defense against them). I typically recommend that pups this age be wormed every week (if a bad infestation is suspected or known) or every 2 weeks until they go to their new homes or they are a little older. Pyrantal Paomate is a common medication used and is quite safe.Some breeders or vets will use Fenbendazole which is given three days in a row but I prefer the former drug myself. So, while seeing these worms might have been understandably concerning, it doesn't mean that there's anything seriously wrong with your pups. I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. My other dogs aren't due to be wormed again for 8 weeks should I worm them again now?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
You're more than welcome although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back. It certainly won't hurt to worm the other dogs especially if they've been around the 3.5 week old puppies; however, adult dogs are much more resistant to round worms than puppies are.In general, I recommend worming everyone who has contact with each other's stools in situations like this. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. And, best of luck with your pups. Regards, Deb