DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

Got a greyhound,9yrs old and previously healthy male. today

got a greyhound,9yrs old and previously healthy male. today has vomited twice undigested food,loose bowel action x 1.Last food yesterday p.m..Now has pyrexia,elevated heart rate(112b.p.m.) respiration 48p.m.,appears weak on Right side .Can i give him 1/2 aspirin to lower temperature till i get him to my vet. Only thing different yesterday was that he was wormed with "bob martin" worming granules.Dog weight is approx 48lb =3 gram sachet according to instructions,query possible reaction to wormer.Many thanks for advice. Tony.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I am glad you plan to take the dog to the vet soon as it sounds like he is very ill. It could definitely be a reaction to the worming medication you gave. If you need to bring the fever down until you can make it to the vet, you can give 1/2 of a regualr aspirin. Preferably buffered or enteric coated aspirin. This can be given every 12 hours. Besides that, try to encourage fluid intake as much as possible to minimize dehydration. Dont push food too much. Just small snacks of wetted down food every 3-4 hours. I hope this helps. best of luck.