Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have just got (13.7.15, 7 weeks and 6 days old) a gorgeous

Customer Question

Hi, we have just got (13.7.15, 7 weeks and 6 days old) a gorgeous female golden retriever puppy born 19.5.15, now 9 weeks old. This question relates to her diet. Puppy's breeder had her on a diet called Little Champ Puppy Food by CSJ, (protein 26%) and a very small amount of tinned puppy dog food mixed over the dry food. Puppy's motions fine on this. As the Little Champ food contains wheat I wanted to change the food as wheat can be an allergen and as Golden Retrievers can have skin problems I wanted to change to James Wellbeloved Puppy, lamb and rice (protein 30%). I have been mixing very small amounts of JW into her existing Puppy food and realised I needed to omit the tinned dog meat as it was making her a bit "loose". Puppy was fine but I find I am increasing JW still very slowly she is getting softer stools again, so I decrease the JW and then she is fine. I am dividing her meals into 4 at the moment, little and often. Puppy is going to be a big golden retriever (alot bigger than our last one). I found this morning she didnt eat that much of her breakfast a usual mix of JW/Little Champ. I gave her a very tiny amount of my left over porridge with some puppy milk and she soon ate that! I know you shouldnt keep swapping food around but wondered if I could perhaps give her some scrambled egg occasionally or are eggs to be avoided too (allergen). I have had great success with JW with 2 previous puppies its hard to know whether I just have to give it more time to change to JW or whether she cant tolerate the lamb and rice as my other dog (Parsons Terrier) can only tolerate a dry dog food with meat and vegetables and not rice. Please could you give me any advice about a puppy golden retriever's nutrition any help would be very appreciated. Thank you. PS I just wondered when you would recommend that she goes on 3 meals daily, I am weighing her food as dont want to underfeed or NOT overfeed either!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today and hopefully can assist in getting you answers to your questions. Congratulations on your new addition!If I miss one of your questions please don't hesitate to respond in order to ensure you are satisfied with our conversation- Since you just adopted her I would maintain the diet of the breeder for a few weeks then a slow conversion as you started over a 1-2 week period. The stress of a new environment then adding in a new food is a lot for their little bodies to handle. Once she is acclimated to your home for a 2+ week period then I would do a transition to the new food and if she continues to have loose stool with he transition you can 1.) Add white rice to the mixture for a few weeks and slowly taper the white rice in hopes of maintaining a firm stool or 2.) Elect to transition to another puppy food of your choosing low in wheat and corn- I do advise avoiding eggs, you can add in things like white rice, carrots, green beans, the porridge, quinoa even but the fat content of eggs is something I typically advise against. - A large breed dog can do well with three daily meals at this age. Typically about 3-4 months old you can transition to two meals daily if that is your goalPlease let me know how else I can assist you both and if I missed any questions! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!