Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has been diagnosed with cushings disease and is being

Customer Question

My dog has been diagnosed with cushings disease and is being treated. However he has developed a type of rash on his stomach which looks a bit like ringworm but the vet i attend says it might be connected to the cushings disease, but are not sure. Can you advise me if this is possible? I have never come in contact with ringworm so I do not Know what it looks like.
Mrs M. Mooney
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.The most common two rashes we see associated with Cushing's syndrome is either calcinosis cutis or a bacterial infection (pyoderma). We do, however, see ringworm associated with Cushing's as well since the disease suppresses the immune system. The only way to know the difference between these three would be to 1)Perform a ringworm culture, 2)Perform a skin scraping (to look not just for a mite infection but also yeast/bacterial) and 3)Biopsy the area (this is the only way to definitively determine this is calcinosis cutis.The ringworm, bacterial/fungal and mites infections are all treatable. There is often no way to reverse or get rid of calcinosis cutis once this has occurred. Our goal is to prevent it from worsening or being painful as best we can by controlling the Cushing's syndrome. I have had several patients develops serious secondary bacterial infections in the areas of calcinosis cutis. So, it is possible to have a bacterial infection but still be calcinosis cutis. I also must advise I recommend a skin biopsy (which is a simple non painful procedure) to confirm this is calcinosis cutis (that we are not just guessing) because dermal cancer, particularly lymphosarcoma or squamous cell carcinoma, can look the same. We want to ensure this is not a cancer which would be unrelated to the Cushing's syndrome.Please let me know your questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Joey.
I shall take this to my vet as they do not seem to know the answer to this dilemma. Moira Mooney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you supply a picture of typical ringworm disease as I have never com across it before. So grateful if you could manage this. Moira Mooney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you cannot supply a picture, could you guide me to web site that maybe can do so. Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dr. Joey
Thank you again for your very good advice. I took my dog to the vet again! They have taken a skin sample but the results will not be back for ten days. I already told the vet that my daughter and grandchildren are arriving from Malasia this monday and I was concerned for the little ones. what I would really appreciate is if you could tell me if you think that after 5 weeks, and my being in contact with the dog, and have no symtoms of ringworm, that the skin disorder is probably to do with the cushings disease? I am very angry with the vet as the dog has been to their hospital twice and they did not take a skin test. Perhaps you could help me with this dilemma.
Yours sincerely
Mrs Moira Mooney
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
I understand your frustration. It is certainly a good sign that you have no skin lesions similar to ringworm, but not all people are susceptible to ringworm. There are some that are extremely susceptible and just being in the same room with the dog will lead to it. I do wish I could give you 100% reassurance this is not ringworm. It not as likely as calcinosis cutis, but still possible. In a way it would be better for your dog to have ringworm since this is treatable. But I completely understand it is scary to consider you have guests coming in. I would recommend until you have the results of the test to be honest that you cannot say if this is ringworm, although probably not. And for everyone to have very good hygiene. That means wash hands well after touching the dog.