Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

You helped me regarding my little boy who died unexpectedly.

Customer Question

you helped me regarding my little boy who died unexpectedly. i hope you remember me. i need to know if having my home sprayed with permithrin for bed bugs could have caused his seizures? i didnt leave the cats here when it was being sprayed and didnt bring them back for over 30 hours after the spraying. i washed the floors thoroughly and didnt let them in my room for weeks after it was sprayed. im desperate to know.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I reviewed your conversation with Rebecca and saw that the cause of Ronald's seizures were undeniably congenital - present at birth. Please don't overlook what you posted: "... the scan showed massive changes. there was no differential between the grey and white matter and his eyes had stopped reacting to light. they say that it was a congenital problem..." These findings aren't consistent with permethrin poisoning which doesn't cause such anatomical changes in the brain. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the sadness and guilt are crushing. he was two years old. i wasnt with him when he died - he was fifty miles from home with the consultant neurologist - but i should have gone for when he was pts. im so scared that it is all my fault. he was my baby, the light of my life and im so lonely without him.

I understand. I believe that you would benefit from a pet loss support group to which you could be referred by Ronald's vet. You mustn't blame yourself for something that was beyond your control. He was lucky to have you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you, ***** ***** truth, he might have been born disabled, but i was the one who was lucky to have that angel in my world. he was my sun, moon and stars

...and that's what you should keep in your heart rather than the last few hours.