Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Can I give my dog sodium citrate dihydrate? Will be going to

Can I give my dog sodium citrate dihydrate? Will be going to vet tomorrow. Just to help her think she has cystitis
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear your dog may have cystitis. I would not give sodium citrate to your dog this evening especially since you are going to the vet tomorrow. You should only give this when you know that the pH of her urine is inappropriate and needs to be adjusted and can throw off tests they need to do tomorrow without helping tonight. It could cause more problems if her urine is already to acidic and can just make it worse. So hold off on giving anything until a urine sample can be evaluated and the true issued determined.I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!