Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a six year old springer/cocker cross neutered .

Hi, I have a six year old springer/cocker cross neutered bitch. Otherwise in great health, three weeks ago had a nasty cough, like she had something stuck. Lasted a couple of days and went away before I was giong to ring my vet. Two weeks ago or so we found a tick on her which we removed but, I fear, having no experience of ticks, even though we used the proper tool, we may not have got it all out (she's very difficult to keep still) the last 48 hours, the cough is back although not so often but today she has become progressivly lethargic and tonight she has had two episodes of drool hanging from her mouth. She's never been a drooler. Before bed she looked particularly exhausted and her third eyelid is staying over her left eye. She is upstairs as we speak and her breathing is really noisy. I'm quite worried about a) maybe not getting the tick out properly and b) it being something more serious like lungworm. I am going to get her in with my vet as soon as he opens this morning but I'm really worried about her right now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Sophie is not feeling wellUnfortunately the increased drooling is a common indication of nausea so I suspect she has some gi upset. In addition, when dehydrated or having gi upset they can also have increased respiratory rates and sunken eyes which cause the third eyelids to be more prominentI can give you some basic guidelines to monitor tonight that would indicate a veterinary er visit is advised. With her lethargy and increased respiratory efforts it is a good idea to ensure that she is not in need of care tonight...Recommend veterinary er - Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest (breaths per minute while resting)- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distressYou can administer pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to help settle her stomach tonight along with some white rice and lean boiled meat but if not interested in food please allow her to rest because forcing food on a nauseous dog can result in vomiting episodes.I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that. I don't have a thermometer so I can't take her temp and I have no access to the medication you suggest to settle her stomach. The good news is she ate her food as normal at teatime (9 hrs ago) and she has pee'd and pooped but it was dark so I can't examine it. I'm just really worried about her laboured breathing and lethargy as normally she's uber lively.

Are you able to count her respiratory rate for me? Are her gums nice and pink?
As long as respiratory rate is <60, gums are nice and pink these are both good signs but if you are very worried about her and she is not improving I would consider a veterinary er to ensure she is not in urgent need of care and to get her comfortable swiftly