Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I found a dark brown sticky residue in one of my Golden

Customer Question

Hello, I found a dark brown sticky residue in one of my Golden Retriever's ears last night when I was bathing her. She was quite at ease as I used a tissue to wipe the outer part of the ear canal, and she was clearly not in pain. There was no unpleasant smell, so I don't think it's infected. It most resembled semi dried blood, but I can't think of an occasion when she could have damaged her ear and the residue seems to be coming from deep inside the ear canal. Is there something I could bathe her ear with? Does she require treatment? What do you think it might be? Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to say that your pup probably has an ear infection. The ears only produce increased amounts of waxy debris in response to some sort of inflammation/infection. If this isn't an ulcerative bacterial infection or an inner ear infection then it won't hurt. It may be itchy and thus your cleaning probably felt good. Of course the ideal situation is to see her veterinarian and have her ear debris tested to see what sort of infection she has to get her on the right medication, but I understand that may not be possible for several days with the weekend. In the meantime there are some things that we can do to help her feel more comfortable.Since most ear infections are secondary to allergies and the inflammation they cause you can use a combination of antihistamines and high doses of omega-3 fatty acids to help with those. In combination fatty acids and antihistamines work synergistically, much better than either one alone.You can try:1)Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic) at 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours.OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 25 pounds of body weight once or twice daily.OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 1mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours.OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily.OR 5) Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at 1/2 mg per pound of body weight orally every 24 hours. That would be one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight. Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because dogs cannot tolerate decongestants. Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another. Give the one you pick a week trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware that antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use.Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight. I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 80 pound dog could take 1600mg of EPA per day. I also recommend using a gentle ear cleaner like Oticlens daily now to remove as much of the waxy debris as possible. This removes excess wax and keeps the ear pH at levels that discourage infections. If the ear gets sore many dogs won't let you squirt things in their ear but if you soak a cotton ball with the cleaner, then place it at the top of the ear canal and massage the ear from the outside, putting pressure on the soaked cotton ball, the cleaner will be instilled easily. Wipe out excess cleaner and waxy debris with dry cotton balls. Once you have her infection treated and cleared use the cleaner twice a week as that helps prevent infections and also allows you to know what a normal ear looks like and catch ear infections very early. Sometimes with an early infection simply cleaning the ear daily is enough to stop it in its tracks.If her ear skin surface is very red after cleaning you can apply a light coat of cortisone cream (like cortaid) to the ear skin with a cotton ball.Do not clean her ear the day of her veterinary appointment so they can gather a sample of the wax for testing.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.