Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

There my dog was in a drun***** *****ke state and fell to the

Customer Question

hi there my dog was in a drun***** *****ke state and fell to the ground. He was paralysed and could'nt stand. He was just staring straight ahead. After a few minutes he seemed more alert. Still having difficulty walking i carried him to bed. He is now exhausted and sleeping. This has happened before.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Muttley's vet needs to clarify if Muttley suffers syncopal ("fainting") episodes which are usually caused by arrhythmias (irregular heart rates) or, instead, Muttley is suffering complex partial seizures. Complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) are more likely because of Muttley's post-ictal (post seizure) behavior of exhaustion and sleeping. Syncopal dogs usually normalize quickly unless the episode causes loss of life.
These seizures are described as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and can be associated with autonomic (drooling, vomiting, e.g.) signs. There is an alteration in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Such severe seizures indicate anticonvulsive therapy in the form of phenobarbital, levetiracetam, or imepitoin (Pexion).
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.