Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

SWOLLEN PROSTATE & RENAL ISSUES (***** *****)

Customer Question

Hello Vetenary Team - My ***** ***** terrier has always been in excellent health, full of beans and very alert; people are always amazed he is 15 years, thinking he looks around 6 or 7 years.

Out of the blue last week he suddenly lost his appetite (normally very keen appetite) and drank more water than usual. I thought it was the hotter weather but it has turned out he has a swollen prostate plus renal problems, plus traces of blood in his stools (soft and sometimes runny) and urine.

At present he is being kept in hospital to receive fluids (through his paw) for his kidneys plus chemical castration to try to shrink his prostate. It may be that he is too old to risk surgical castration but tests are being done re all possibilities.

The scans show there are ulcers in his prostate too. So far the chemical attempt to shrink his prostate has not shown much success as yet. The kidneys are improving slightly but not yet significantly, according to the blood tests so the fluids and dense care continue...to see if kidneys can improve over this weekend.

My little dog is down and obviously missing me terribly (we have always been inseparable).

Everyone (friends and professionals alike) tell me he is a good age which, obviously, I know...Yet, I can't help thinking that age aside, he has always been a strong and fit dog, and to shrink the prostate and treat the ulcers with antibiotics that can reach the prostate and actually get through the barrier, will give my little dog a fighting chance...plus if the kidneys can become nourished and vitamins/minerals applied this will also give him a boost...(I know of ***** *****s local to me nearing 20!) My dog responds to me hand feeding him with pasta and flakes of fresh fish that I bring to the hospital but I have been told that visiting and then leaving him causes him stress when I go...so best to leave it to the nurses to try to feed him.

I worry that missing me may cause him more stress overall and his depression from missing me means he will be eating far less (if at all).

I worry that the ulcers should be treated (Drained? Antibiotics?)

I keep wondering why the hormones to shrink prostate are, so far, not working and is there a better solution...and is it because the ulcers have not been treated?

I also wonder if there is anything else I can give to him to help his kidneys, natural solutions or otherwise...

In short I do not want his level of care or the treatment used to be reduced just because of his years, rather, I would like to think he will be given EVERY chance to survive and be looked after in the same way as a dog 5 years or more younger since he is, as said, a strong dog for his years....who loves being around and gives out so much vitality and happiness to all who spend time with him!

Can you recommend the type of care and solutions you would give that are to the MAX, to help your doggie patients suffering all the above.

Could you also advise whether you feel the owner's presence each day would help the dog's will to live and be strong, or would you consider such visits detrimental.

Many thanks for your time and sound advice....It is very much appreciated (to put it mildly!)

I just do not want to risk my little dog being possibly underestimated, or worse, written-off and offered 'timid' type care just because of his age, when I have faith in him and know his strengths so well.

He is a fighter (in the strength of character sense of course). Many thanks again :)

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I am sorry for the delay in an expert responding, but these are tough questions.First, I want to confirm that he had complete lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check +/- urine culture), X-rays and an ultrasound to diagnose that he has a prostatic problem (is it suspected to be prostatic cancer or cysts and if cystic was an aspiration via ultrasound taken and submitted to a pathologist to know if this is infection or a cyst)? If a cyst is considered a problem, then treatment is surgical debridement (this is a speciality surgery because it is so hard to get to this area) or drainage of the cyst via ultrasound. Many cysts are infected; so a culture should be submitted if aspiration is performed. IF he has cysts then estrogen therapy is contraindicated (unsure what "hormone therapy" you are referring to, but wanted to mention this). But treatment with finasteride or castration to reduce the prostate size is recommended in addition to aspiration or surgical correction.It sounds like he is getting good therapy, but I could not guess how long until there is improvement. We typically support with fluids to treat constipation (and straining) and evacuate the bladder as needed.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.