Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

Our 9 year old lurcher is behaving stranglely tonight he just

Customer Question

our 9 year old lurcher is behaving stranglely tonight he just keeps going out and eating grass
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. Is Rio vomiting or having any diarrhea?Does he seem uncomfortable when you squeeze his belly?Does his belly area look distended?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, no vomiting or diarrhea but quite agitated. Keeps rushing into the garden to eat more.

I have pressed belly but no reaction

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. I am sorry to hear that Rio is quite agitated and keeps trying to eat grass. His symptoms are concerning as this usually indicates that his stomach is quite upset. Most dogs that ingest excessive amounts of grass are trying to cause themselves to vomit therefore I am surprised that he has not thrown up anything. Without examining him, determining the exact cause of his symptom can be difficult though. Here are some of the more common disorders that could be using his symptoms: - Ingesting something out of the ordinary that has caused an upset stomach or obstruction- A twisted stomach commonly called bloat- Pancreatitis which is an inflammatory disorder of the pancreas which can make dogs quite uncomfortable- An organ disorder such as kidney or liver disease- A viral or bacterial infection in his stomach/intestines At this point, if he continues to act agitated or starts to act quite uncomfortable I would honestly recommend taking him a vet tonight. These are symptoms that his abdominal area is bothering him which can be considered an emergency. I do understand that taking him to a vet is not always possible though any time a dog is acting quite different this should not be ignored. If you cannot take him to a vet tonight, then watch him closely for any vomiting, make sure that he is drinking water and holding it down, and check his belly for any discomfort. If you would like to give him something for the stomach discomfort, you could consider ranitidine (Zantac). The dose is about 1 mg per pound (2 mg per kg), every 12 hours. This is a very safe medication for dogs which has virtually no side effects.Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much. My wife is just walking him round the block to see if it alters how he is behaving. Unusual though he seems more panicky than in pain - never behaved this way before. He just ate a treat though - tin of sardines. Maybe not best idea but just wanted to see if he could/would eat normally.

If still agitated when he gets back we will go find emergency vet.

All best

Robin

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome Robin - I hope Rio is better after his walk.