Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is panting very fast, doesn't appear to have slept,

Customer Question

My dog is panting very fast, doesn't appear to have slept, he is behaving erratically almost can't seem to make up his mind on what to do, doesn't appear to be able to sit or lie down comfortably, do you know what may be causing this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Your dog is acting as if he ingested a prescription or recreational drug, was intoxicated by a chemical affecting his nervous system, or perhaps experienced a complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal and now also called psychomotor seizure).
May I have an update on him, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has stopped behaving erratically but does seem to find comfort lying out in the rain for lengthy periods of time, the panting has also lessened some what.

Thank you for the update. He has remissed and is likely to have become hyperthermic from his hyperactivity which is alleviated by his lying out in the rain. If he experienced seizure activity you may see this behavior again. Most of us will tolerate one mild event monthly before considering anticonvulsive drugs.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?