Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is persistently vomiting-yellow then white bile

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- How long has this been going on? 5- How often is she vomiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. She hasn't anything different to eat or go into anything.

2. Not sure of weight, small for her breed.

3. No pre-existing medical conditions

4. Been going on for about four hours but it seems to have stopped now after happening about every half hour

She is due her shots-boosters, including for kennel cough and I was concerned it was that she had picked up but she hasn't vomited for over an hour now-actually she wants to go for her walk so I,m going to take her see how it goes.

She is also overdue to come into season

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep indoors in a cool room when fasting. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet. 4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter