Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12 year old dog passed a poo yesterday and it had

Hello my 12 year old dog passed a poo yesterday and it had a film around it then some blood came out after it to. She'd not eaten all day and after it I gave her a worming tablet. Then though the night she was sick 6 times and one of the times it was full of blood? Do you have any idea what is wrong with her please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did you give the worming tablet before or after these symptoms develop? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Did she get into anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Peter I gave the worming tablet after I saw blood coming out after she had her poo, around 4pm. She'd not eaten all day I tried everything to get her to eat but she didn't want anything. She started being sick this morning around 5am and one of there sick was just full of blood.
She weighs 10kg.
No she doesn't get into anything but she eats a lot of grass.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the film you saw in the feces is mucus which is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). The fact that she is also vomiting blood means there is inflammation in the upper gastrointestinal as well. There are many possible causes; common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease (kidney, liver disease), etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter