Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

My dog keeps scratching at the side of his face and there's

My dog keeps scratching at the side of his face and there's a scabby lump
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of Spud's uncomfortable condition. How long has this been a problem for him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 6 months
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. That's a very long time for a simple skin infection to persist, though it is possible. More likely this is a chronic deep infection or skin tumor. These will not resolve with simple home remedies, and often require antibiotic therapy or surgery to get them to clear up. Have you had Spud's veterinarian take a look at this lesion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You can try clipping the fur from the area and treating the area topically with a triple antibiotic ointment. If no results are seen in 2 weeks, or if the condition seems to be getting worse, it would be in Spud's best interest to seek veterinary care for him. Deep infections sometimes respond to this treatment, but if it is a skin cancer, it will not improve and needs professional care. If you still have questions, please let me know.Kind regards, Dr.Bob