Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My retriever is 3 and 6 weeks ago i took her to vets with

Hi my retriever is 3 and 6 weeks ago i took her to vets with a swollen left hind paw. he thought she had been stung so gave pain relief and antibiotics. after a week the swelling had gone down but the paw was very sore from her licking it. so he gave her more antibiotics. I went back monday as still not happy with how paw looked and asked for an x-ray. They did this yesterday and have said that she has an old injury where she has broken her paw and it has healed incorrectly. I really do not know if it is possible for a dog to break their paw and not be limbing or in pain, even as a pup??? My concern is that she did this in the first place and they did not spot it?? I don't know what i am looking at with x-rays so should i get another vet to look at them so they could say how old the injury is??
Many Thanks Pauline
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.I agree with your suspicions, that a broken paw would lead to limping and obvious pain -- so I do not really believe that explanation.I am more suspicious of a possible bone infection, also known as Osteomyelitis, or even a bone tumor (though that would be uncommon at 3 years of age). Either of these "could" look like a poorly-healed old fracture, but in reality they are very different situations.I would definitely recommend a second opinion, or ask to have the x-rays sent out for a radiologist to review them. If you have them in digital format and can upload them, I'd be happy to take a look for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for late reply i have asked for a second opinion with a bone specialist.

The x-rays are not in digital format but thanks for the offer.

Pauline