Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Licking of lips jaw twitching/juddering, slight leak of

Customer Question

licking of lips jaw twitching/juddering, slight leak of saliva on left hand side. Not all the time but enough to cause us worry.

I have looked inside his mouth checked teeth and no obvious signs of wear/damage.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I admit that dental pain at 13 months is unlikely but it would be prudent to have Dexter's vet take a close look inside Dexter's mouth. Subtle fractures - particularly of the large carnassial teeth (4th maxillary premolars) - can be easily missed and require dental X-rays to identify a root abscess associated with such a fracture.
Less commonly, a simple partial seizure can manifest as jaw twitching. These seizures are defined as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity involving any part of the body (jaw twitch, limb jerk) and may be accompanied by autonomic signs (drooling, vomiting). There's no alteration of consciousness with simple partial seizures.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. It started yesterday after eating some crunchy snacks or he had chewed his antler bone.

He is happy in himself but as stated earlier, licking his lips and then jaw judder. The seepage of saliva is on the left hand side of his jaw (lower). I will consider a visit to the vets if it doesn't stop in a day or two-is this acceptable?

Certainly. I don't see an urgency in his behavior unless the symptoms exacerbated. Perhaps that antler bone did injure his left manibular arcade.
I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
May I have an update on Dexter, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI

Sorry for the delay.

The jaw twitching stopped next day, I think he damaged left hand gum?

He did however open and close his mouth the next day after eating in sudden jerks, but this stopped after one meal-all seems to be normal now.

Was waiting to see if things deteriorated, which they haven't.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Alistair

What a good update, Alistair! Yes, simple trauma, then. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.