Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10 year old terrier is lactating but has had no litter she

Customer Question

my 10 year old terrier is lactating but has had no litter she has also been trying to nest in her bed and mine what should I do about this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
You've described pseuodocyesis (pseudopregnancy, false pregnancy) which always occurs to some degree following a heat period in dogs. In most cases it's occult - you don't see any symptoms of it. In some dogs, however, mammary problems (engorgement, lactation, licking of the glands) and abnormalities associated with aberrant maternal behavior (nesting, digging, adoption of animals or objects), depression or anxiety, anorexia, and excessive vocalization (whining) are all possible.
Pseudocyesis typically resolves spontaneously 2-3 weeks from its onset but can occasionally persist until the next estrous cycle. If treatment is desired, a dopamine agonist such as cabergoline can be administered by her vet as an antiprolactinic drug. This disorder is associated with a high plasma concentration of prolactin at the end of the luteal phase when progesterone concentrations decrease abruptly. (The "luteal phase" describes the time when an ovarian follicle has already released its egg and turns into a progesterone-secreting corpus luteum; progesterone supports pregnancy and if the bitch isn't bred, supports false pregnancy.)
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Please disregard the info request.