Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 13 year old dog has canine dementia she has ...over the

Customer Question

My 13 year old dog has canine dementia she has ...over the last few days stopped drinking and doing any toilet matter and just wants to sleep.... when I lift her out to the garden she starts to shake and tremble and heads straight back indoors.. are her organs shutting down..is she dying?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If a 13 year old stops drinking and eating for as little as 72 hours and remains somnolent for that period of time, euthanasia might well be a kindness. Those symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder but do indicate profound illness that isn't likely to respond to conservative therapy. Renal and hepatic insufficiencies as well as geriatric malignancies must be considered. Brain tumor might well underly her dementia. Your alternatives are quite limited at this time. You can have a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests performed in an attempt to better understand if there were palliative therapy available for Tia or you can have her euthanized. "Watchful waiting" such a dog for more than 72 hours isn't kind in my mind. Perhaps this will help... Free now to run, jump and playOr snooze in the shade on a sunny dayTo sit for hours watching birds in the treesOr to lie on the porch and enjoy the breezeFree from sickness that made me weakRestored to the dog that I was at my peakYou made the right choice for me my friendBe at ease with yourself and let your heart mendNo more vets, shots or pillAnd while you can't see me, I'm here with you stillFor though you may think that we really did partI'm there in your memories, I'm here in your heart-------anonymousPlease respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.